Morrison Steel and Wire Company limited, was founded by Kenneth John Morrison (1866-1915)
here and here. A more detailed look at K.J. Morrison, and the early days of Morrison Steel & Wire Co., can be found at Robert Moen's excellant blog about the West End of Vancouver
I primarily posted this post to look at the history of the company when it moved to Granville Island in 1919. A complex journey it has been, still many unknowns.
But here is a first go...
After K.J. Morrison's abrupt death. Nova Scotian, Henry Havelock McDougall,( 1866-1959 ), appears to have bought company after Morrison's passing. He married to Effie Putnam,( 1868 - 1955 ) in 1895.
Frequently H.H. Mcdougall is mentioned as Havelock McDougall, just to add to the confusion. Havelock had at leat two brothers John Currie McDougall ( 1859 - 1923 Victoria, B.C. ) and Adams McDougall. The following is from the The Daily Colonist, after H.H. McDougall's brother passed away in Victoria.
Transcribed here: The Daily Colonist, 23 October 1923, page 5
LATE CAPT. McDOUGALL WELL-KNOWN MARINER
Deceased Was Son of Prominent Ship Builder of Nova Scotia In Days Of Salling Vessels
Captain J. C. McDougall. whose death took place here recently was son of the late Hon. William McDougall. of Maitland, Hants County, Nova Scotia, who at one time was one of the largest shipbuilders in that locality. Captain McDougall, at the time of his demise was Federal inspector of weights and measures for Vancouver Island, and previous to that was a successful master mariner for some years, sailing ships built by his father, amongst the number being the Hecla and Launberga. He is survived by his widow, residing here on Irving Road, and one son Mr. Fred McDougall, in Detroit, and five daughters. Mrs. Elliott and Mrs. Jarvis, of Edmonton; Mrs. Mckeddie, of Vanwort, Ohio; Miss Bessie McDougall, of Vancouver, and Miss Doris, of this city, besides four grandchildren and two brothers, Mr. Havelock McDougall, owner and proprietor of the Morrison Steel Works, Vancouver. And Mr Adams McDougall, of Halifax. N.S., provincial inspector of hulls.
[ Capt. John Currie McDougall was married in 1885 to Margaret "Maggie" Douglas
Bess McDougall married in 1928 Charles Stewart (Stuart) Lyons( 1865 - 1949 ) ]
Havelock McDougall, is variously listed as a manager, owner, president in the directories, he was an accountant. By 1918 Frank Wilkinson is involved as a managing director; he also had his own company Wilkinson Steel Company Limited, and was involved with U.S. Steel; all three companies used the same office address 846 Beach Avenue, Vancouver. Frank Wilkinson (1873 - 1949 ) was married to Alice Mary Baker,( 1873 - 1949 ), he would go on to build a large steel distribution company, which was sold in 2013 to Samuel,Son & Co. Wilkinson Steel, used many buildings, around Vancouver, and B.C.; one of which is at 190 West 2nd Avenue Today the home of the CITY TV Station.
Photo and the following from: Who's Who in Canada: An Illustrated Biographical Record of men..., Volume 14.
Wilkinson, Frank---- Managing director, Wilkinson & Co., Limited, Steel and Wire Merchants, established 1910, 846 Beach Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. Director of the Morrison Steel & Wire Co., Vancouver, B.C. Born England February 22nd, 1874, son of Joseph and Hannah Wilkinson. Educated in England. Came to Canada in 1893. Was engaged with B. and S.H. Thompson Co., Ltd., Montreal, as correspondent Secretary-Treasurer from 1893; Vice-President and General-Manager to 1910; established present business 1910. Married Alice Mary Festling Baker, of Montreal, formerly of London, England; has one son and five daughters. Clubs: Terminal City Club of Vancouver. Recreations: Motor-boating and Tennis. Anglican. Residence: 3590 Pine Crescent, Vancouver, B.C.
The Daily Colonist page 1, July 8, 1949
SEARCHERS FIND BODY ON ROCKS
A search party directed by Sergeant Frank Leslie Jeeves,( 1909 -1978 ) of the Provincial Police, yesterday found the body of Frank Wlkinson, elderly Vancouver manufacturer, on the rocks off Separation Point, near Chemainus.
It is believed the man was drowned when he fell from a 10-foot dinghy while fishing alone near Separation Point Wednesday night.
Wilkinson, who lived at 3290 Granville Street, Vancouver was described by police as being about 73 years old. He was president of Wilkinson Steel & Wire Co. Ltd., Vancouver, one of the province's principal nail manufacturing firms.
Wilkinson's dinghy, rigged with an outboard motor, was found drifting near Separation Point yesterday morning. In it was Mr. Wilkinson's dog Billy.
Police explained that Wilkinson had come into nearby Genoa Bay on his yacht Minona before putting out by himself Wednesday night to fish from his dinghy.
Police said the trip to Genoa Bay was made by two yachts, one skippered by Wilkinson and the other by the drowned man's son-in-law, Dr. Harold Farrar Mitchell, (1891 - 1950).
Last night Provincial Police officials were unable to say whether an inquiry or an inquest would be ordered to investigate the circumstances of Wilkinson's death.
the search party combed the shoreline and waters off Separation Point without let-up yesterday before finding Wilkinson's body late in the afternoon.
------- So sadly Frank Wilkinson died on the 6th of July 1949, only five weeks after the passing of his wife Alice Mary Baker, ( 1873 - 29th May 1949 )
1901 Census Jacques-Cartier, Notre-Dame-de-Grace, Montreal. The Wilkinson's living with the wife's parents.
1911 Census Vancouver : Frank Wilkinson, (1874 - 1949 ); Alice Mary Baker, ( 1873 - 1949 );
Amy Elizabeth Wilkinson "Mitchell" then "Dobbins", ( 1896 - 1993 ); Joseph William Wilkinson, ( 1898 - 1964 ); Agnes Wilkinson "Dixon", ( 1901 - 1971 ); Nelly Wilkinson "Clarke"( 1903 - 1975 ); Margery Hilda Wilkinson "Watchorn"( 1906 - 1995 ) ; Edith Wilkinson "Hunter" ( 1909 - 2001 )
1921 Census Vancouver
Around 1925 Morrison Steel & Wire, was bought by Samuel Jackson Hammitt, ( 1887 - 1974 )
The company was apparently run on Granville Island up until 1980. (not confirmed though )
Vancouver Archives CVA 586-5915
We know a little more about him, because he left behind notes for an autobiography, which was later partially deciphered, and printed into a small book: Life in Apollo: Pennsylvania in The 1890s
By Samuel J. Hammitt transcribed and edited by Marion Dewees Gropen
A small part of the book follows...
Samuel Jackson Hammitt was born in Apollo, Pennsylvania on December 31, 1887 to Armand Calincourt Hammitt and Virginia Jackson Hammitt. They had been married for 4 years at the time. His parents later gave him one younger brother, John Kelly.
Armand was the oldest son of Isaac an Hannah Cox Hammitt.
Armand's grandfather (Samuel J. Hammit's great grandfather ) was impressed by the British Navy from an American merchant vessel just before the war of 1812. that Isaac Hammitt fought with and then be-friend his fellow midshipman, John Kelly. Samuel Hammit's younger brother was named fror the midshipman. The name has passed down through several generations of the family. Jack Kelly's children and grandchildren included several Isaac Hammitts in similar fashion.
Both Isaac's ( Samuel/a grandfather and great-grandfather) were boatbuilders. Their specialty seems to have been steamboats, many of which sailed the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Some of their earlier boats were in Commodore Perry's fleet at the historically important battle in Put-in Bay. Armand worked as a roll-turner in the Apollo stell mills, and a machinist in the McKeesport locomotive works.
Virginia Jackson Hammitt was the daughter of General Samuel McCartney Jackson. He served with distinction in The Northern army during the Civil War (and should not be confused with that other General Jackson, "Stonewall.") He led his regiment in the battles of Gaines' Mills, Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvannia Court House, and Bethesda Church.
After the war, General Jackson had invested in oil, and then went into the State Legislature, followed by the State Senate, and eventually serves a term as State Treasurer.
Eventually, he was instrumental in founding the apollo Savings Bank, which became the Apollo Trust Company. He also owned a portion of the Laufman and Saltsburg Steel companies, which were eventually purchased by US Steel.
Samuel Jackson Hammitt grew up in Apollo, and attended Yale, graduating in 1909.
In 1911, he married Marion Sherwood Hallock ( 1891 - 1981 ), daughter of Franklin William and Minne ( Minerva ) Adams Hallock, of Derby,Connecticut.
Sam Hammitt worked his way up throught the ranks of the U.S. Steel company and its subsidiaries, with postings in Australia and Japan, before finally settling in to run Morrison Steel and Wire in Vancouver, B.C.
He and his wife Marion, had two children, Virginia (1923- ), who married Thurston Merrill, jr. and Jacqueline (1933- ) who married T. Gerret Dewees. ( Jacqueline was her generation's "Jack Kelly," of course.)
S.J. Hammit and his wife Marion Sherwood Hallock
What follows is various photographs and a map of the Morrison Steel & Wire Company Limited on Granville Island.
Cropped section of A75390 CVA 216-39 - [ Aerial view of Granville Island, looking north with Burrard Bridge, Kitsilano Trestle Bridge and "old" Granville Street Bridge. 1950 ]
CVA 59-03 - Aerial photo, oblique, False Creek, Vancouver 1947
( Morrison Steel & Wire Company barely visible in this photo, top right hand side. )
MAP 1027 - Greater Vancouver 1929 ( this is a cropped image from this map of Granville Island. )
CVA 59-06 - [Aerial view looking north over] Granville Island 1953
(cropped image, showing the Morrison Steel & Wire plant. )
7 January 1921, Dominion Photo Co. VPL
Interior scene 1945 Photo by: King Studio. VPL
VanArchives 2019-102.21 - Aerial view of False Creek 3 June 1973
the plant was removed sometime between March -September 2005
Can just make out a Morrison on building in distant right; Tyee Machinery office just before.
26 September 1974 Cartwright Street, looking eastward. Track to the right is unusable because the switch towards the right is blocked over. UNBC
Unused spur leading southward to Morrison Steel and Wire Company Ltd. The spur crosses a disused line running on the south side of Cartwright Street. 6 October 1974 Photo by: David Davies. UNBC
More vague, little further north along bridge. looking eastward, down Johnston Street.
Morrison Steel & Wire, complex just below top, centre.
2 October 1974 Photo by: David Davies UNBC
March 2005 Google Earth
Google Earth, later in March 2005 partially demollished.
Google Earth 2021, primarily a parking lot;
but the building on the right remains.